Monday, July 18, 2011

Barbie Taylor Loft and the 3 Story Dream House

12. 
Katie wants me to play Barbies--she wants me to play all the time.   But I am terrible at it

My Barbie wants to say to Ken, "Seriously, a date, now? Who's going to nurse the baby? And, I don't even have an outfit that fits!"  Or to her best friend Raquel (who happens to look just like her but brunette? I am still confused by this.), "I can't possibly shop at Barbie Taylor Loft today--it isn't in my monthly budget.--What's that you say? Let's just go for a drive in the pink convertable and visit?  Are you aware that most of the world's population doesn't understand the perils of antibiotic resistance? I must plan lessons for my science class.  Besides, gas is $4 a gallon! No, No, there is no time to just visit today!"  Or to Ken when comes home from work, and brings in the mail--"the mortage? Already?? Oh, Ken!  Why did we have to buy this 3 story dream house?"

See how this is a major parade rainout for Katie? I don't understand what happened to my ability to play. I believed with every ounce of my childhood body that I could grow up to be Wonder Woman.  I turned under-roos, hay twine, and a pair of yardsale boots into an authentic Wonder Woman uniform.  I got lost for hours in make believe worlds--in those worlds I could solve any problem because no one and no thing was telling me otherwise.

Am I just so submerged in reality that my spark of imagination was extinguished? Well, I need to exercise my imagination--probably lots of us parents do.  When Katie gets home from camp today I am going to play without seeing the "boundaries" reality has introduced me to.  I am going to let Barbie, Ken, and their twin babies see solutions instead of dilemmas.  Maybe I'll even learn something in the process......I'll keep you posted!

Imagine, Pretend, Play, and Create!

No comments:

Post a Comment