Saturday, July 2, 2011

Learn to Love to Save!

10.  Just took my 8 year old, Chip, to the bank to open his first savings account.  He had a crisp $10 bill and 16 quarters.  The teller showed him how to fill in his register, explained how his account could earn interest, and gave him a sticker.  He is now officially on fire for saving money.  If only I'd gotten the bug that early (or anytime prior to 2010 if I'm being honest!)...my financial picture would be so different than it is now.  We are struggling to dig out of consumer debt, pay off student loans, and build a nest egg.  Well, here's what I've learned and what I need to remind myself constantly---every paycheck, put a little back.  Putting a lot back isn't reasonable, because it leaves too little for the monthly bills and can lead to falling back on the credit card.  But doing a little--you hardly miss it, and it grows faster than you think it would!

No comments:

Post a Comment